Ernie Galer comes to Urban Acres after serving as a partner, office manager, and, for 15 years, broker of record for an area real estate company. He has extensive experience in his field. In 1967, he graduated from Iowa State University and moved to Iowa City where he built houses, apartments, condominiums and commercial buildings as E.G. Construction until 1986. He went on to earn his real estate sales and brokers licenses as well as more designations: Accredited Buyer Representative ABR, Accredited Buyer Representative Manager ABRM, Certified Real Estate Broker CRB, Certified Residential Specialist CRS, Internet Specialist Certification e-PRO, Graduate Real Estate Institute GRI and Senior Real Estate Specialist SRES.
In 1991, Ernie received “The REALTOR of the Year Award” from the Iowa City Area Real Estate Association. He served as President of the ICRE Association in 1993 and the Iowa City Area Home Builders Associations in 1995. He was named “Associate of the Year 2000” by the Homebuilders Association of Iowa City. He has also served as Chairman of the Iowa City Board of Adjustment and was an Iowa City Community School District School Board director. He presently serves on the Iowa City Board of Review and the Johnson County Compensation Commission. Ernie’s wife, Heidi, taught German at West High School for 34 years. They have four children and eight grandchildren.
Fun Facts About Ernie Galer
- Describe Yourself: I’m a person who rarely gets upset
- One Thing About You No One Would Guess: The number of grandchildren my wife and I have. (answer: 8)
- Favorite Food: Oatmeal raisin cookies
- Favorite Movie: Goodwill Hunting
- Favorite Sports Team: Any team on which my grandchildren are members
- Favorite Local Landmark: My yard in the spring, summer and fall
- Favorite Musician: Any musician from the ‘60s
- Favorite Book: Any fictional action style mystery
- Favorite Childhood Toy: Miniature windup T-Bird car
- Favorite Iowa Fact: Iowa ranks 1st in beef, pork, corn, soybean and grain production
- A Little Bit Urban or a Little Bit Acres? Urban but have owned some rural properties